Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ahoy Mateys! My pirate ship has sailed!




Today I worked on a pirate themed birthday party. Nordicware has this awesome pirate ship pan which with just a little spray of Baker's secret turned out the cutest little ship with hardly any work at all. Usually though, you can't use just cake mix and not have it stick. I haven't been that fortunate enough yet to figure that one out.
For the ship I used a traditional Kentucky Butter Cake recipe as I wanted a cake that could handle the design of the pan and resemble the design once done. This is an extremely easy cake to make, delicious, yet uses everyday ingredients most people have on hand.

Butter Cake
3 cups of All Purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
I mix all of these together with a whisk and then set aside

In the mixer I mix:
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
Cream together then add:
4 eggs, one at a time
Then add:
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter flavoring
Alternate mixing in the flour mixture and then the one cup of buttermilk, starting with the flour then ending with the flour (or 1 cup of milk that has had white tablespoon of white vinegar added and left to sit for approximately 5 min. cause nobody here drinks that stuff full strength!)
Now bake this at 325 deg F for approximately 60 minutes.

To get really wicked with this recipe and give you that good warm feeling I glaze the cake when it comes out of the oven with this:
Glaze

3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons of Amaretto (my special feel good part) Water if you're not ready for this
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter
Cook over medium heat until fully melted. For goodness sake though, don't let this boil! I made that mistake one time and it was like trying to pour maple syrup over the cake. Only problem with that was it sure didn't taste like good maple syrup. More like burnt caramel popcorn. Yuck!
When the cake is still warm in the pan gently poke holes in it and pour the syrup over it. I let the cake sit for approximately 2 min. but no longer. Then I invert, cool the cake completely and dust with powdered sugar. I did leave the cake in the pan too long one time and I had to pick it out of the pan peice by peice.
So let me know what you think!

1 comment: